8.29.2009

Why Do YOU Dance???

To dance is to live. Movement is life and part of the definition of life. When I do not move, I feel less alive, like my breath is stopped. I am compelled to move, it does not feel like a choice. Dancing is an expression of one's physicality, ideas, and emotions, and extends energy into space. It is so basic and primal. Along with music, it ties us into the rhythms and energy of the universe and each other. Learning to dance, developing one's own technique, as well as dancing socially, choreographing, and performing with others, can be a spiritual journey. We learn of our possibilities and limits. We learn of our own and other's aspirations, how we can interact with others, nature, and space. The Dance can be a mirror and reflection of our souls. It allows us to express love as well as pain, to play, to create...

We know that dance as a form of expression is as old as the history of existence - everyone dances in one way or another. For our ewaBAMIJO brochure, we are collecting a worldwide series of responses, to the question. Why Do YOU Dance??? and as we receive responses via email, Twitter and Facebook, we post them HERE and on the blog www.ewabamijo.blogspot.com. So go ahead, tell us why you dance!

www.ewabamijo.com
info@ewabamijo.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris Aiken (USA) - I dance because it is the thing in life which makes me feel most alive and because of the incredible opportunities dance creates for people to come together and to be creative.

Ajagbe Moriam (Nigeria) - I dance 4 fun n 2 relief me 4m stress.

Laurie Charlier (France) - It makes something in my body that i can't explain, it's like a heatwave, i forgot everything around me and all my emotions are living in my movements.

Rasul Ademilola Adelakun (Nigeria) - I can't really tell, music alwaays get to me, once i hear music i dance, its just in my soul to dance.

Lara James (Nigeria) - Dance? for me its abinibi not ability.its spiritual cos when i dance i do forget everything around me.its also a form expression,sexual,power,love,anger,anxiety,name it.i remember april 25th 2004.i lost my dad 4pm on a sunday and i had to be on stage at 9pm with femi kuti.i was there and nobody knew i lost my dad until after d show cos i cried my heart out after d show.

Jules Beckman (France/USA) - Dance to get thru life, to get thru death, to grieve, to feel connected to earth, sky. to connect to the present. dance to forgive. dance to remember. dance for a vision. to connect with ancestors. dance as prayer. dance as mutation and as Resistance. dance to get my body back from the media that wants me to hate myself so they can sell me stuff. dance to thaw out. dance the numbness away. dance to make the bones breathe. dance the body transparent. dance against disease. dance to bust a move to bust out to change my mind. to lose my mind and come to my senses. dance with my kids. children love dance. dance to make friends. at a jam, at a club, in the street, on stage, in the kitchen...cuz life is much too short to be shy.

Olanrewaju Akanbi (Nigeria)
I dance to relax. To show excitement.
I dance to announce my level of merriment.
I dance, Oh yes I love to dance...
I dance at different times for different reasons.
I do different kinda dance at different seasons.
I dance to calm my nerves when there's allota preasure.
I dance when there seems to be a lot to treasure.
I dance when God had done it, is doing it, or when I have to convince Him to - or even for thanking Him in anticipation believing He had done it...
Why do I dance? I already told ya.

Lawla Gmore (Nigeria)
WhY do I dance? Dats a good question. I dance because it makes me feel alive, I dance because I love to, I dance because when am dancing I feel whole. Dancing has become a part of me even though am not a professinal dancer, I dance when d inspiration sets on me, I dance when am feeling low in d spirit, I dance when am happy, to excercise I dance, when am even in d shower I dance, I even dance in my tots. Its funny thinking dat my whole life I have been dancing and I never tot of it. Q'dance u know like I do dat dancing will always be an important part of life cuz u can never be sad or unhappy when dancing. Now ask me why do I dance again and I will tell u I dance because it lightens up my life.

Damil Huthman (Nigeria)
I dance because it makes me feel better and improves my self esteem.

Bolanle Ishola (Nigeria)
We dance 2 celebrate life,while some dance 2 express their feelings,we also dance 2 exercise our body&ease our pains

Uche Uwadinachi (Nigeria)
I dance to regain a lost consciousness.


Alex Rodabaugh (USA) - If I were to ever stop dancing, my life would lose the magic, beauty and amazement that I keep deep in my heart. Plus it would be such a waste of my hyper-extension.

adashu israel (Nigeria)
Dance is a necessary ingredient for living as well as an integral part of the human life.  It is a powerful tool of expression for the human mind and way of life (culture). Similarly, dance is a tool of communication between humans, well as their relationship with supernatural forces. Against this background, humans engage in dancing activities to appease supernatural beings in moments of great ordeal. On the other hand, people dance to indicate a sign of respect to instituted authority or acceptance for visitors etc. However, the life of an African is a perpetual celebration, which implies that the African is a perpetual dancer. In Africa, every occasion presents an opportunity for dancing. Dance is necessary ingredient in naming, wedding, burial, traditional and other ceremonies. In sum, dance is the expression of the joys and the pains of the human mind. There is hardly a dancing performance without a message communicated no matter how absurd the message is.